- Prepare first the rice cake. (Homemade Korean rice cake)
- If you dont want spicy you can replace chilli paste and chilli powder with powdered paprika.
- 1 pound of homemade rice cake (Use a little more if you’re not adding fish cakes)
- 4 cups of water
- 1/3 cup Healthy boy hot pepper paste
- 1 tbs Trs Chilli Powder
- 1 tbs sugar
- 3 green onions, cut into 3 inch long pieces
- 2 hard boiled eggs, shelled (optional)
- ½ pound fish cakes (optional)
Prepare the rice cake for ddeokbokki:
- Cut it into 8 equal pieces, then roll each piece out into a 4 inch long cylinder shaped rice cake.
- Put ½ ts sesame oil onto your hands and gently rub the rice cakes to coat them in a thin sheen of oil. This will give them a nice flavor and keep them from sticking to each other.
- Add the water, dried anchovies, and dried kelp to a shallow pot or pan.
- Bring to a boil for 15 minutes over medium high heat without the lid.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon when it starts to boil.
- Keep stirring until the rice cake turns soft and the sauce thickens and looks shiny, which should take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot.