- 1 cup Trs cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups vegetable oil $
- 16 ounces package mini sausages
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk and 3 tbsp. water. Add the dry ingredients and stir (mixture will be lumpy). Let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375° (check with a candy thermometer) in a high-sided 8-qt. pot. Insert a toothpick into the end of each mini sausage, leaving at least 1 in. of toothpick exposed. Remix the batter slightly, and transfer to a small, deep container.
- Dip each sausage into the batter, holding the toothpick end, then carefully drop into the oil, frying only 3 at a time. Turn with a slotted spoon until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.